Exhibitions & Awards
- 2017 Intersection Between History & Biology, Talking Colors, Int’l Psychohistorical Assoc., New York University, NYC
- 2017 Postcards from the Edge, Metro Picture Gallery, Chelsea, NY, NY
- 2016 “Objects & Symbols,” Emanuel Skirball Judaica Museum, One East 65th Street, NY, NY
- 2015 “Story in the Sky: Remembering 12 Sons,” Skirball 14th Annual Exhibition, Davis Mansion, NY, NY
- 2015 “Otherness,” Abrazo Interno Gallery, Clemente Center, NY, NY
- 2015 “Story in the Sky 2,” Int’l Psychohistorical Association, Kimmel Center, NYU, NYC
- 2015 “Camp 9,” Victoria University, Ferenzi Conference, Toronto, Canada
- 2015 “Black Kettle,” The Psychoanalysis and Science Conference, Talinn, Estonia
- 2014 “Transformations: The Sleeping Mind,” Skirball Gallery, One E. 65th St., NY, NY
- 2013 “Hullaballoo Collective,” Fountain Art Fair, 69th Regiment Armory, NY, NY
- 2013 “Light,” Skirball Gallery, One E. 65th St., NY, NY
- 2013 “Response Art Series,” Hebrew Institute of Riverdale, Bronx, NY
- 2012 ish and isha/man and woman,Skirball Gallery, One E. 65th St., NY, NY
- 2012 Joie de Vivre, PS Project Space Gallery, 548 W.28th St., Chelsea, NY, NY
- 2012 Caught in the Grip, The Nightingale-Bamford School, 20 E. 92nd St., NY, NY
- 2012 Hullaballoo Collective, Fountain Art Fair, 69th Regiment Armory, NY, NY
- 2011 “The Response Art Series,” Industry City Gallery, Brooklyn, NY.
- 2011 “9/11 10th Anniversary Memorial Exhibition,” Freyberger Gallery and Yocum Institute of the Arts, Penn State Berks, Pa. and The Jewish Cultural Center, September to December Reading, Penn.
- 2011 “Embodied Light,” Exhibit and 9-11 Window Installation of “memory block,” Educational Alliance, Ernest Rubinstein Gallery, including reading, “Reflections in Black Plastic,” September December, NY, NY
- 2010 and 2011 “Artists Beit Midrash Exhibit,” Skirball Gallery at Temple Emanu-el, 65th Street, June, NY,NY
- 2009 H. Joe’s Gallery, Tucson, Arizona
- 2008* Rosenberg Exhibition Space, Sunny Isles Beach, Florida
- 2008 The Martha’s Vineyard Hebrew Center, Mass.
- 2007 Mercy College Manhattan Campus, New York City
- 2007 Featherstone Center for the Arts, Oak Bluffs, Mass.
- 2006 The Pen and Brush, New York City
- 2006-2007 Louisa Gould Gallery, Martha’s Vineyard, Mass.
- 2006 Salmagundi Club, New York City
- 2005 Broome Street Gallery, New York City
- 1984 to 2006 Abingdon Square Painters Annual Exhibit, New York City
- 2004 Mercy College, Manhattan, New York City
- 2003 Manhattan Arts International website, New York City
- 2002*, 2003* Jefferson Market Regional Library, New York City
- 2001- 2011 Abingdon Square Painters Annual Exhibit, New York City
- 2001* Chase Manhattan Bank, 302 West 12 th Street, New York City
- 2001* Charles University, Department of Psychology, Prague, Czech Republic
* = Solo exhibitions
- Psychoanalytic certification, Washington Square Institute
- M.S.W. and M.A., New York University
- B.F.A., Syracuse University and University of Michigan
Academic Honors and Awards:
- 2011 Honored by the New York State Society for Clinical Social Work for contributions to the field of Clinical Social Work.
- 1997 and 2015, Gradiva Award Nominee in Painting, National Association for the Advancement of Psychoanalysis
- 1996 to 1997 Liberty Partnership Grant, School of Visual Arts, New York City
- 1966 I.Merrill Foundation Grant, Pratt Graphic Art Center
- 1964 Magna Cum Laude, Syracuse University
- 1963 New York University and Syracuse University Scholarships
- 1962 Tau Sigma Delta, Architecture and Allied Arts Honorary, University of Michigan
Artist in Residence:
- 2006 Rogiers Artist Space, Sausalito, California
- 1990 Vermont Art Center, Vermont
- 1973,74,82 The Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, Virginia
- 1969 The MacDowell Art Colony, New Hampshire
- 2011 Honored by the New York State Society for Clinical Social Work for contributions to the field of Clinical Social Work
- 2010 and 2011 Reader and Judge for the Gradiva Award [for creativity, originality and contribution to the field] National Association for the Advancement of Psychoanalysis, New York City
- 1992 to 2014 Founder and Chair of “The Creativity and Transformation Committee,” NYS Society for Clinical Social Work organized and hosted five presentations/workshops on creativity and psychoanalysis per year and curated two member exhibitions.
- 2010-present Appointed Curator of the Abingdon Square Painters Association, Annual Exhibitions, L.I.C., New York City
- 1998 to 2001 N.Y.C. Organized Exhibitions, New York City
- Abingdon Square Painters Association, New York City
- 1995 to 2001 Arts and Mental Health Consultant, Humanities Center, New York City
- 1992 to Present Chair of the Committee for the Arts and Creativity, New York State Society for Clinical Social Work
Articles on art and creative process:
- 2013 Review: “The Darker Side of Creativity.” The Clinician, www.NYSSCSW.org
- 2012 Review, “The Art and Spirit of Family Sculpture,” The Clinician, www.NYSSCSW.org
- 2011 Review: “The Artful Brain: Survival Through Creativity.” published by The Clinician, journal of the New York State Society for Clinical Social Work.
- Spring/Summer 2000.”Dealing With Rejection,” FYI For Your Information NYFA. New York Foundation for the Arts. (Ask Dr. Art)
- 2000 “Talking About Painting; an Expression of Gratitude,” Art League of Long Island.
Published by Manhattan Arts International:
- 1999 “Linking Private Space to Public Venue,”
- 1998 “Talking About Black and White,” .
- 1998 ” Opposing the Comfort of the Known,”
- 1998 “Creativity and Creative Process”
Lectures and Seminars:
- 2017 “The Dark Side of Creativity: interpenetration of word and image,” Object Relations Institute, St. John’s University, Manhattan Campus,NYC
- 2016 “Walling off the Black Plate: Clinical Practice and Creative Process,” 39 th Int’l Psychohistorical Association, NYU Kimmel Center, NYC
- 2016 “Exploring Multi-Factorial Trauma by Visual Mentalization Process,” Gestalt Associates, NYC
- 2016 “Dialectics of Creativity and Vulnerability,” International Federation Psychoanalytic Societies, Roosevelt Hotel, NYC
- 2015 Post Traumatic Growth: Discovering the “I” Through Visual Mentalization presented at: The Int’l Psychohistorical Association, Kimmel Center, NYU, NYC; Victoria University, Ferenzi Conference, Toronto, Canada; The Psychoanalysis and Science Conference, Talinn, Estonia.
- 2013-14 “Understanding the Unconscious in Art, Mind, and Brain: referencing the work of Eric Kendall.” Creativity & Transformation Committee, (NYSSCSW)
- 2004 “Symbol Formation in Healing: Depressive Personality Structure, A Case Study,” (NYSSCSW) Syracuse, New York
- 2002 “Creativity and Creative Process: A Remedy for Healing,” Intercare, NY
- 2001 “Aesthetic Communication,” National Association of Social Workers, NY
- 2000 “Manic Depression and Art,” Locus Media Gallery Symposium, Soho, NYC
The New York City Art Teachers Association Annual Conferences:
- 1995. “Aesthetic Communication;”
- 1994 “Arts Resources, An Interpersonal Approach;”
- 1993 “The Business of Marketing Your Art,”
- 1992 “When Advice is Not Enough;”
- 1991 “From Feeling to Articulation,”
- 1990 “The Arts and the Creative Unconscious,” The Psychotherapy Center, Prague.
Abbreviated list of debts of gratitude:
- Being a native New Yorker. Accompanying my grandfather to museums and religious services.
- Anthropology I at the University of Michigan. The study of dance and movement with Blanche Evan, dance therapy pioneer, Olga Ley and Naomi Goldberg Haas, Dances for a Variable Population.
- Samuel Breecher, my first art teacher and my grandmother who supported my creative vision